For information about the K-12 program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To join our list please scroll to the bottom of this page.
The ILAS K-12 Outreach Program strives to enhance the professional capacity of teachers in a multicultural NYC environment and promote the inclusion of Latin American history and culture in their classrooms and students’ daily lives. The program draws on the expertise and support of faculty and students across Columbia University to offer educators resources and opportunities to learn about creative ways of incorporating Latin American history and culture into their curriculum.
We offer a series of professional development opportunities for educators who want to learn more about ways to include Latin America and regional-specific content into the K-12 classroom.
To receive email alerts specifically about upcoming professional development workshops and curriculum development opportunities for K-12 educators, please join our list at the bottom of this page.
ILAS K-12 Latin American Resource Guides for New York City teachers
With support from the U.S. Department of Education’s Title VI funds, the Institute of Latin American Studies at Columbia University and the Center for Latin American Studies at New York University support K-12 professional development to strengthen teaching and learning about the region. Jointly with Urban Arts Partnership we produced volumes I and II of our resource guides with engaging lessons and activities designed for any subject and for students of all ages. Upcoming guides are being produced by students and alumni from various programs at Teachers College. We invite you to download the guides and follow along as you watch the video (if you do not have the video please contact us at the email above).
- Volume I has with lessons on Mexican artists Diego Rivera and Aurora Reyes Flores and Brazilian photographer Vik Munizthi.
- Volume II is about Cesar Lopez’s “Escopetarra” where students will discover the Latin American tradition of using found objects to build musical instruments.
- Volume III is a resource for K-12 teachers to encourage and facilitate the use of museums in New York City to include Latin American history and culture in the classroom. Museums featured in the guide include the Metropolitan Museum of Art; the Brooklyn Museum; the Hispanic Society; the Museum of Modern Art; and El Museo del Barrio.
In order to expand our mission we have partnered with:
- The Center of Latin American and Caribbean Studies (CLACS) at New York University
- The New York City Department of Education (Districts 4 & 7)
- The Association of Latin American Students (ALAS) at Teachers College
- Urban Arts Partnership
Past Events: 2015-2016, 2014-2015, 2013-2014, 2012-2013, 2009-2011
Friends of the K-12 Outreach Program
If you interested in receiving regular electronic notices k-12 Outreach Program, please join our newsletter.