Funding Opportunities for Students
The Institute of Latin American Studies at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is privileged to receive funding from the Lemann Foundation, the U.S. Department of Education, the Tannenbaum Fund, and other sources to provide grants, scholarships, and fellowships to Columbia students. The applications and instructions below provide a brief overview of fellowship and travel grant programs, as well as information on eligibility, requirements, and submission deadlines and procedures. ILAS also offers an information session every January for students wishing to apply for ILAS funding.
FOR MARSLAC STUDENTS
In addition to the aid listed above, ILAS provides partial academic year fellowships and research assistantships to MARSLAC applicants who demonstrate academic excellence and considers requests for need-based assistance. Students must apply to the program by the early application date of February every year. Students who apply after the February date may be considered if funds are still available. All MA applicants will be automatically considered for aid regardless of citizenship or residence status (except for Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships). Specific funding options include:
- ILAS and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Tuition Scholarships (Consideration for these is part of the general MARSLAC admissions process, no separate application necessary)
- Columbia University Scholarship for Displaced Students (Separate application process administered through Columbia Global Centers)
- International Fellows Program (Separate application process administered by the School of International and Public Affairs, deadline TBA)
- Loans and financial aid, including federal work study
MARSLAC students may also apply for additional grant funds to present papers at conferences or other research related activities through GSAS Conference Matching Travel Fund. Prior approval from the director of graduate studies is needed. For more information, contact Senior Manager of Business and Student Affairs Eliza Kwon-Ahn.
FOR COLUMBIA STUDENTS
- Pre-dissertation Field Research Travel Grant for Summer 2020 – Deadline is Friday, February 19, 2021, 11:59 pm (EST) | Application | Guidelines
- ILAS Graduate and Undergraduate Internship Travel Grant for Summer 2020 – Deadline is Friday, March 26, 2021, 11:59 pm (EST) | Application | Guidelines
- Lemann Graduate Fellowships through SIPA and other Columbia schools. Students from Brazil interested in graduate and undergraduate study in the various schools and departments of Columbia are well advised to consult with Fundação Lemann and Fundação Estudar regarding additional fellowship opportunities that may be available.
- Federal student aid (FAFSA)
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships (FLAS)
If you have any questions regarding these fellowship and travel grant programs, contact Senior Manager of Business and Student Affairs Eliza Kwon-Ahn.
Also visit the GSAS financial aid page for more information and options about financing graduate education at Columbia.